Kelly Clarkson can finally look back and laugh at her first encounter with President Barack Obama.
The 34-year-old singer stopped by “Late Night With Seth Meyers” on Tuesday and revealed how she royally butchered Obama’s name, who at the time was a young senator in the state of Illinois, during an event with members of the Senate in 2007.
“I completely butchered it,” Clarkson told Meyers. “I wanted to die. I wanted to fall down and pretend like, ‘Oh, she had a stroke’ or something. I wanted to fake some horrible thing.”
“[Afterwards], I’m like, ‘Oh my God, this new senator… I feel so horrible. I’ve got to find him and apologise,” she continued. But, unfortunately, he was nowhere to be found.
“Everyone was like, ‘You’ll never see him again,'” she said. A few months after their encounter, Obama announced he was running for President of the United States. Despite the embarrassment, it seems like it’s all water under the bridge, because in 2013, Clarkson got invited to perform at Obama’s inauguration. And, this year, she’ll be part of the National Christmas Tree Lighting concert on Dec. 1.
Clarkson, who is currently working on a new album to be released in 2017, recently opened up to ET about motherhood and how it’s influenced her career.
The “Stronger” singer is the proud mom to 2-year-old daughter River Rose, and 5-month-old son Remy, as well as stepmom to her husband Brandon Blackstock’s two children from a previous marriage.
“It sounds so cheesy, but I feel way more confident, way more empowered and way more like I’ve got this,” she told ET. “You just have so much going on all the time, especially because I’m a working mom — so many moving parts and so much navigation — that I just feel like I can do anything. I feel like the head of the village.”
For more on the star, watch the video below.
More From ET:
- Kris Jenner Calls Pregnant Kim Kardashian a ‘Closet Eater’
- EXCLUSIVE: Valerie Harper Rushed to Hospital, ‘It Doesn’t Look Good,’ Source Says
- Kate Gosselin Reveals 12-Year-Old Son Collin Is Away Getting Help for ‘Special Needs’
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum Shares Stunning Topless Photos Taken by Channing Tatum
- Rob Kardashian Steps Out for Work Out, Runs Into Kylie Jenner and Tyga
- Kristen Bell Explains Why Husband Dax Shepard Tries to Get Them to Swing With Other Couples: ‘He Just Loves People’