Angelina Jolie hopes her children can start to “heal” after the Department of Child and Family Services cleared Brad Pitt of child abuse allegations.
In a statement to ET, Jolie’s rep said the actress was “relieved” that the investigation had concluded, and that her focus has always been the health of the family.
“The job of the DCFS is to make sure the children are in a safe and secure situation. As we said earlier this week, childcare professionals encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides that was in the best interest of the children,” the statement read. “Angelina said from the beginning that she felt she had to take action for the health of the family and is relieved that after their 8-week involvement, the DCFS is now satisfied the safeguards are put in place that will allow the children to heal.”
ET confirmed that DCFS cleared Pitt of the child abuse allegations on Wednesday. “It wasn’t clearly founded that there was any abuse by Pitt,” a source tells ET, emphasizing that there was no validation or proof of abuse.
Another source, however, tells ET that “just because the DCFS investigation is over and Brad was cleared, doesn’t mean they didn’t necessarily find anything. There is a reason that Brad and Angelina are still sticking to the safety plan originally put in place by DCFS. His visits are still monitored with a therapist.”
ET has also learned that Pitt has voluntarily chosen to have supervised visits with his kids, because he believes that it is what’s best for them. “His visits are monitored voluntarily because he has agreed to go out of his way for the kids,” the source said.
The DCFS launched their investigation into Pitt in late September, after an alleged incident between the actor and his 15-year-old son, Maddox, while on a family flight back to the U.S. from Europe, though a source told ET at the time that reports of abuse were “exaggerated or untrue” and that “there was no inappropriate physical contact.”
During their investigation, DCFS implemented a voluntary safety plan for the family, which gave Jolie temporary custody of the former couple’s six children — 15-year-old Maddox, 12-year-old Pax, 11-year-old Zahara, 10-year-old Shiloh, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne — while Pitt had supervised visits with the kids. Jolie and Pitt each volunteered to participate in individual counseling, and Pitt also agreed to undergo drug and alcohol testing, though he was not required to, sources told ET. ET has learned that this safety plan is officially over, however, the custody agreement Pitt and Jolie signed last week is still in place.
On Monday, three days after Pitt filed his response to Jolie’s divorce petition, and requesting joint custody of the children, a source revealed that the former couple had spoken directly to reach their own temporary custody arrangement.
“Childcare professionals have encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides over a week ago,” Jolie’s rep said in a statement at the time. “In accordance with this agreement, the six children will stay in their mother’s custody, and the children will continue therapeutic visits with their father. This has been determined by childcare professionals to be in the children’s best interest.
See more on Jolie and Pitt’s custody battle in the video below.
More From ET
- Kris Jenner Calls Pregnant Kim Kardashian a ‘Closet Eater’
- Kris Jenner, 59, Shows Off Bikini Bod, Shoots Down Tummy Tuck Rumors
- EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump’s Ex, Marla Maples, Speaks Out on His Attack Against Ted
- EXCLUSIVE: Valerie Harper Rushed to Hospital, ‘It Doesn’t Look Good,’ Source Say
- Ireland Baldwin, 19, Gets Cozy With Olivia Wilde’s 39-Year-Old Ex-Husband
- ‘Bachelorette’ Kaitlyn Bristowe on Sex with Contestant: I’m Not Ashamed Of It