Montreal Impact Star Didier Drogba’s Foundation Cleared Of Fraud Charges After 7-Month Investigation

Didier Drogba’s charitable foundation was hit by allegations fraud and corruption earlier this year, but after a seven-month investigation the charity founded by the Montreal Impact soccer star has been cleared of all charges.

As the Telegraph reports, the Britain-based Didier Drogba Foundation was accused or raising more than £1.7 million (approximately $2.8 million Canadian) but only turning over £14,115 of that to charitable causes, but an extensive investigation by Britain’s Charities Commission has determined no evidence of any wrongdoing.

“We have been able to satisfy our most serious concerns in relation to the charity by confirming that funds have not been misapplied and that all funds raised in the English charity’s name have been held by the English charity,” reads a statement from the commission. “We are also able to confirm that we found no evidence of fraud or corruption on behalf of the charity.”

RELATED: Facebook Busts Group Selling Bootleg Gord Downie T-Shirts, Claims Of Charity Donation Apparently Bogus

Following the exoneration of his foundation, Drogba released a statement of his own. “The Charities Commission has today confirmed after a seven-month investigation, that no funds have been misapplied by my Foundation, and that there has been no financial wrongdoing, no fraud and no corruption,” he said.

“I am pleased that this supports what we always said from the start which is that the claims made back in April were entirely false,” he added. “I have instructed my lawyers to seek a full apology and damages to be paid to my Foundation.”

Drogba played his final game for the Montreal Impact on Wednesday, and is now reportedly considering his career options once he becomes a free agent in January.

Click to View Gallery

Great TV Moments in Soccer…

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP