Six People Face £1.3 Million In Damages After Publishing Topless Photos Of Duchess Kate In 2012

Prince William said it best after the 2012 publication of topless photos of his wife Duchess Kate on vacation, “it breached our privacy.”

The six people responsible for the leak were in court in Paris on Tuesday, May 2.

A prosecutor is seeking “very significant fines,” about £1.3 million in damages, according to the BBC. Meanwhile, the attorney representing Closer magazine – which published the photos in 2012 as well as the local “La Provence” newspaper – is arguing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge “had been the subject of much media attention” and says “the photos did not constitute a breach of privacy.”

RELATED: Prince William, Duchess Kate And Prince Harry Discuss Mental Health In Latest Heads Together PSA

In a statement read in court from Prince William, he compares this “harassment” to what led to his own mother Princess Diana’s death in the tragic car crash 20 years ago makes it “all the more painful.”

“The clandestine way in which these photographs were taken was particularly shocking to us as it breached our privacy,” reads William’s statement.

The royal couple were vacation in Provence, France when the photos, of Kate sunbathing without a swim top at a private estate, were taken without their knowledge, “My wife and I thought that we could go to France for a few days in a secluded villa owned by a member of my family, and thus enjoy our privacy.”

RELATED: Kate Middleton Says Motherhood Can Be ‘Lonely’: ‘You Do Feel Quite Isolated’

“The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to The Duke and Duchess for being so,” said a St. James Palace spokesperson in 2012 after the breach.

The Associated Press reports that Laurence Pieau, the editor of Closer in France, Ernesto Mauri, chief executive of the magazine’s owner, the Mondadori group, and the agency photographers who allegedly took the shots, Cyril Moreau and Dominique Jacovides, are all on trial at the Paris court.

The court’s ruling is expected to be handed down on July 4.

Click to View Gallery

Will And Kate’s Most Romantic Moments

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP