Bill Cosby’s trial is over, with the judge declaring a mistrial after the jury remained deadlocked in determining the comedian’s guilt on charges he drugged and sexually assaulted Andrea Constand.
As the New York Times reports, the exhausted jurors had been deliberating since Monday, but could not break the deadlock that stood in the way of rendering a verdict.
“After 52 hours of deliberation — probably one of the most courageous acts I’ve ever seen — I’m compelled to grant a mistrial,” Judge Steven O’Neill said of his decision.
Cosby was charged with three counts: penetration with lack of consent, penetration while unconscious and penetration after administering an intoxicant without the subject’s knowledge. If he had been found guilty, each felony charge carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison, which could have seen the 79-year-old star spend the rest of his life behind bars.
According to reports, the decision to declare a mistrial came after jurors met with the judge on Saturday and reported they remained “hopelessly deadlocked” following more than five days of intense deliberations.
However, Cosby’s troubles are far from over. Shortly after the judge announced his decision, the District Attorney revealed plans to retry Cosby on the same charges, breaking the news on social media that Cosby would stand trial for a second time.
Cosby “remains free on bail,” reads a tweet from the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, adding that a “new trial date will be set.”
Montgomery County DA Kevin Steele held a press conference following the judge’s decision, promising to “move the case forward as soon as possible,” stating that the DA’s office “will evaluate and review our case, take a hard look at everything involved and then we will retry it.”
Added Steele: “We have made the determination of moving forward, and it lies in the fact she deserves a verdict in this this case … and we will push forward to try and get justice done. We hope that moving forward in this case sends a strong message that victims of these types of crimes can come forward and can be heard on what has happened to them.”
Steele stated that his primary motivation in retrying the case is to seek justice for Andrea Constand. “Our case is focused on the victim,” Steele said. “Our case is focused on the evidence that we have to corroborate what she has indicated. That’s where we started and that’s where we finish.”
Following the mistrial announcement, “Girls” star Lena Dunham took to Twitter to share her comments, noting that the trial was “about much more than Bill Cosby,” offering her support to survivors of sexual assault.
Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents several of the women who came forward to accuse Cosby of sexually assaulting them, held a press conference following the announcement. “We can never overestimate the blinding power of celebrity,” said Allred. “But justice will come.”
Allred’s daughter, lawyer Lisa Bloom (who recently held a press conference with client Kathy Griffin after her ill-conceived photo holding the fake severed head of Donald Trump), took to Twitter to share her views on the judge’s decision. “For Cosby, mistrial,” she wrote. “For his 60 accusers, no justice. #RapeCulture.”
Allred’s words did not go over well with the Cosby camp, and a spokesperson for the comedian was quick to respond.
“In the words of Huey P. Newton, power is the ability to define phenomenon, making it act in a designed manner,” said spokesperson Andrew Wyatt.
“Mr. Cosby’s power is back… the jurors, they used their power to speak… Mrs. Cosby’s power is back,” he said, and had this to say of Allred: “For all those attorneys, who conspire like Gloria Allred, tell them to go back to law school and take another class.”