Last year, FX announced the second season of its drama series “Feud” would focus on the brief marriage and acrimonious split of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, but those plans have apparently been scrapped.
Answering journalists’ questions on Friday after the FX Executive Session at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, FX CEO John Landgraf divulged that when “Feud” does return with a second season, it won’t be about Charles and Diana.
“As far as I know, it’s not active right now,” Landgraf told The Hollywood Reporter, explaining that the decision was based on the material.
“We did [have it cast] but we decided we didn’t feel we had the material right and decided not to move forward with it,” Landgraf added.
Early rumours indicated that Matthew Goode (“The Good Wife”) and Rosamund Pike (“Gone Girl”) had been cast as Charles and Diana in the aborted second season of the Ryan Murphy-produced series; the first season chronicled the legendary Hollywood feud between “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” co-stars Bette Davis (Susan Sarandon) and Joan Crawford (Jessica Lange).
Landgraf is optimistic, however, that a second season of “Feud” will appear — eventually.
“I hope so; I think Ryan would still consider it an active show but he hasn’t told me what the next cycle is and when he’s going to make it and that’s really in his camp,” Landgraf added.
“Feud: Charles and Diana” was announced before the first season of “Feud” even premiered, with Murphy to have penned the script.