Our beloved Princess Leia will live on.
When Carrie Fisher passed suddenly in December of last year, “Star Wars” fans wondered whether or not it will have an impact on the upcoming film.
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” was completed prior to Fisher’s passing. Disney CEO Bob Iger reminded everyone of this on Thursday during a conversation at USC Marshall School of Business. He reassured fans that her involvement will not be altered in any way.
“When we bought Lucasfilm, we were going to make three films—Episodes VII, VIII and IX,” Iger said. “We had to deal with tragedy at the end of 2016. Carrie appears throughout VIII. We are not changing VIII to deal with her passing. Her performance remains as it is in VIII. In ‘Rogue One’, we had some digital characters, but we’re not doing that with Carrie,” he revealed.
The statement made by Iger follows the comments Lucasfilm made earlier this year regarding the continuation of Princess Leia in the upcoming films.
“We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumour circulating that we would like to address,” the statement began. “We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa. Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honour everything she gave to ‘Star Wars’,” the studio said.
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is set for release on December 15, 2017.
Iger teased what else is happening within the “Star Wars” universe during the conversation. Watch the Periscope from Scale: The Future of Tech and Entertainment conference below: