Donald Trump’s feud with the mainstream news media took a juvenile turn on Sunday when the President of the United States posted a video of himself tackling CNN. He tweeted a video in which he attacks a man with the news outlet’s logo superimposed over his head during a WWE wrestling match.
Trump shared the video with the hashtag “#FraudNewsCNN #FNN”.
The original clip is from “Wrestlemania 23” in 2007 where Trump tackled WWE founder Vince McMahon. Since Sunday night, the controversial tweet has become the President’s most popular of all time, amassing an astonishing 326,000 retweets and over 544,000 favourites and counting.
The video is seen as Trump’s approval of violence against journalists. The video comes days after White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders claimed, “The President in no way form or fashion has ever promoted or encouraged violence. If anything, quite the contrary.”
In response to his latest outburst, CNN’s senior media reporter Oliver Darcy posted a statement from the network, calling Trump’s tactics “juvenile behaviour far below the dignity of his office.”
U.S> Department Of Homeland Security Advisor Thomas Bossart told ABC’s “This Week” he supports Trump’s tweet.
“Whatever the content of that tweet is or any tweet, he’s demonstrated a genuine ability to communicate to the people,” he said, adding that he doesn’t think the physical violence depicted in the video should be seen as a threat against the media.
“I think that no one would perceive that as a threat. I hope they don’t. But I do think that he’s beaten up in a way on cable platforms that he has a right to respond to,” he stated. “He’s simply pushing back defending himself.”
The shocking video is the latest in Trump’s series of Twitter tirades against the mainstream media, whom he obsessively believes are perpetuating false stories about him.
The video is the culmination of a series of tweets aimed at CNN that he fired off on Saturday night.
Celebrities including Chelsea Clinton, Kevin Zegers, Will Poulter, J.K. Rowling and Ava DuVernay, among others, voiced their concerns over the video posted by the President.
On his weekly HBO current affairs show, Last Week Tonight, host John Oliver claimed Trump’s tweet was an attempt to distract the public from the partial reinstatement of the contentious travel ban. The previously banned “travel ban” prevents travel to the United States to citizens of six Muslim-majority countries.
Now, it has been discovered that a Reddit user who goes by the username of “HanA**holeSolo” was the one who first created the video. In a now deleted message on Reddit, he apologized for creating the video. In the message, he claims the GIF was a prank and was never intended to be anything else. He said he respects the media, journalists, and reporters: