It’s always traumatic when you’re the star of a TV show that gets cancelled, but that trauma is undoubtedly magnified when said cancellation comes as a complete surprise, and you learn the sad news not from your bosses but by reading about it on Twitter.
That was the case for Renee Young and Daniel Bryan, hosts of the WWE’s “Talking Smack” wrestling talk show, who discovered the show had been axed when they read about it on social media.
“Talking Smack”, which had been airing each Tuesday following “Smackdown Live”, was apparently turfed on Friday, with wrestling insiders learning the news and taking to Twitter to lament the loss of the show.
And while reps for the WWE confirmed the show’s cancellation, the pro wrestling league apparently neglected to inform the show’s hosts about the decision, with Young commenting sarcastically on a tweet about the show’s demise. “Hmmmm,” she wrote, “that’s one way to get news.”
Wrestling blog PWInsider was the first to learn of the news, reporting that the WWE plans to occasionally revive the show to follow its pay-per-view events such as Wrestlemania and SummerSlam.
“We continuously review WWE Network’s programming line-up based on a variety of factors, including viewership and subscriber research,” said WWE in a statement to PWInsider.
Young followed that her earlier tweet by retweeting a GIF shared by a fan, taken from a holiday episode in which she tosses a box of cookies over her shoulder while sporting an expression of disgust.
She later returned to Twitter to share her disappointment about the cancellation, noting that “we tried to make that show great.”
Her “Talking Smack” co-host Daniel Bryan also weighed in, and appeared to be downright ticked off about not being informed of the cancellation, writing, “Nobody tells me anything!!!”
And it’s not just fans who are sad to see the show gone; WWE star Mike “The Miz” Mizanin, a frequent guest on “Talking Smack”, tweeted his condolences about the cancellation. “RIP #TalkingSmack I enjoyed the freedom this show gave @wwe talent to showcase what they could do. @ReneeYoungWWE brought the best out of all.”
Pro wrestler Dolph Ziggler also shared his sadness about the show’s demise.
Meanwhile, news of the show’s cancellation reverberated throughout the Twittersphere: