With the Television Critics Association summer press tour underway in Beverly Hills, Saturday night saw TV critics and entertainment journalists from throughout North America honour the year’s best television at the annual TCA Awards.
Hosted by Kristin Chenoweth, the ceremony was held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, and featured such stars on hand as Reese Witherspoon of “Big Little Lies”, the casts of “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “This Is Us”, and Leah Remini, who took home an award for her A&E documentary series “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath”.
“I had always hoped to win something for comedy,” joked Remini in her acceptance speech after taking the award for Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming. “Apparently you guys didn’t think I was so funny.”
However, the former Scientologist got serious about being awarded for her show. “Words do not express how grateful we are for this… but our contribution pales in comparison to those who bravely shared their stories,” she said. “I spent most of my life being told the world outside Scientology would fail me, that I would fail, and that without it I wasn’t worth a whole lot. I thank you for proving those theories wrong.”
FX comedy “Atlanta” took the award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy and another for star/creator Donald Glover, who won for Individual Achievement in Comedy (Glover was unable to attend, as he’s in London filming the Han Solo movie), while Carrie Coon won the award for Individual Achievement in Drama for her work in “Fargo” and “The Leftovers”.
“The Handmaid’s Tale” won in the Outstanding Achievement in Drama category and for Program of the Year, while “Big Little Lies” star Reese Witherspoon accepted the award for Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials.
Here is the complete list of winners of the 2017 TCA Awards:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Carrie Coon (“The Leftovers” & “Fargo”, HBO & FX)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Donald Glover (“Atlanta”, FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: “O.J.: Made in America” (ESPN)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” (A&E)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: “Speechless” (ABC)
- Outstanding New Program: “This Is Us” (NBC)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: “Big Little Lies” (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: “The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: “Atlanta” (FX)
- Program of the Year: “The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
- Career Achievement Award: Ken Burns
- Heritage Award: “Seinfeld” (NBC)