ET Canada

UPDATE: Suge Knight Will Stand Trial On Murder & Attempted Murder Charges

By Steven Shehori, .

UPDATE: Thursday April 16, 2015 (1:29 pm ET): Marion “Suge”; Knight will stand trial on murder and attempted murder charges. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ronald Coen ruled there was enough evidence to proceed regarding an incident where Knight allegedly drove his truck into two people at a parking lot in Compton. One man was killed and another suffered major injuries to their legs and head.

UPDATE (Friday, Mar. 20, 1:52 p.m. ET): Suge Knight was back in court today and, as has become his habit whenever he’s within 20 feet of a judge, the rap mogul collapsed in the courtroom.

For those keeping track, this is the fourth time Suge has collapsed or sought medical attention while appearing in court for murder charges stemming from a January hit and run in which he ran over several people with a vehicle, leaving one of them dead.

Suge, who remains in custody, was back in court for his bail hearing today. Moments after the judge set bail at a whopping US$25 million, Suge slumped down and collapsed in his chair, causing bailiffs to spring to action to ascertain what was wrong with him.

Story continues below

According to The Los Angeles Times, L.A. Fire Department officials wheeled a gurney into the courtroom and tried to assist the defendant, who was reportedly unconscious.

“Just, bam,”; said Knight’s attorney, Matthew Fletcher. “He’s unconscious right now.”;

Knight’s condition isn’t immediately known, but Fletcher pointed out that his client is diabetic. Deputy Dist. Atty. Cynthia J. Barnes was dubious as to the veracity of Suge’s continual collapsing, and expressed her belief that Suge “did it in front of the cameras.”

UPDATE (Monday, Mar. 2, 3:30 p.m. ET): Suge Knight made a brief appearance in court today before he was taken to the hospital — again. For those keeping track, this is the third time one of the rap mogul’s court appearances has been kiboshed due to his insistence that he needs immediate medical attention.

During his short chat with the judge, reports Associated Press, Knight explained he had fired his lawyers, and complained he was receiving inadequate medical treatment while in custody, claiming he’s lost 35 pounds since being placed behind bars.

AP also reports the Death Row Records co-founder told the judge he was blind in one eye and only had about 15 per cent vision in the other eye, as well as suffering from a blood clot in his lungs and other complications from being shot six times during a nightclub fracas last year.

Story continues below

Knight is pleading not guilty to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run.

UPDATE (Thursday, Feb. 20, 1:20 p.m. ET): Suge Knight was scheduled to appear in L.A. County Court this morning, but he has reporedly just been rushed to an undisclosed hospital by ambulance.

Knight and comic Katt Williams were slated to be arraigned this morning on robbery charges, stemming from an incident in which the pair allegedly stole a camera from a female paparazzo in Beverly Hills.

Knight’s attorney has told TMZ that this latest medical problem has to do with the stomach pain his client has been experiencing after being shot six times at an L.A. nightclub in August.

This isn’t the first time a medical crisis has led to one of Knight’s court hearings to be delayed. Prior to a hearing on Feb. 3 to face murder charges for his role in  the hit-and-run death of Terry Carter, Knight was taken to hospital after suffering chest pains.

Knight’s arraignment has been pushed back until April; Kat Williams will return to court at 1 p.m. PT.

Update (2/09/2015 12:55 p.m.): Suge Knight’s bail review hearing has been postponed.

The hip hop mogul, who has pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and other charges, will now have his hearing on March 20. Knight was originally held on $2 million bail before shifting into a “without bail”; condition due to his perceived threat as a flight risk.

Story continues below

Deputy district attorney Cynthia Barnes says she has a “very large stack of uncharged crimes that I will be presenting with regard to bail.”;

Update (2/03/2015 1:10 p.m.): The Los Angeles Country Sheriff’s Department has confirmed that Suge Knight has been taken to a hospital.

TMZ is reporting that Knight was rushed to a nearby hospital after appearing in court today. Knight is said to have experienced chest pains while in the lockup area next to the courtroom. The health issue is believed to be a panic attack.

Update (2/03/2015 12:35 p.m.): Suge Knight is pleading not guilty to the charges that face him following an incident where the former rap mogul struck two men with his truck.

Knight entered the plea in a Compton court. The Death Row Records co-founder has been charged with one count of murder, one count of attempted murder and two counts of hit-and-run. Knight’s attorney, James Blatt, claims that his client’s collision with the men was an accident that occurred because Knight was attempting to flee an altercation.

Update (2/02/2015 6:40 p.m.): The Los Angeles Sherrif’s department has confirmed Suge Knight is being held without bail.

Homicide Detectives petitioned the Bail Commissioner to made the decision due to a possible flight risk, possible witness intimidation issues, and the fact Knight is a three-strike candidate.

Story continues below

The hip hop mogul has been charged with one count of murder, one count of attempted murder, and two counts of hit-and-run. Knight was on bail in a separate robbery case at the time of his arrest — a fact that could further exacerbate his legal troubles. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.

The 49-year-old will be arraigned on Tuesday in Compton at the Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Update (1/30/2015 12:15 p.m.): Suge Knight has been arrested for murder.

Variety is reporting that the Los Angeles County Sherrif’s Department is currently holding the former rap mogul on $2 million bail at their West Hollywood station. The arrest comes following a report that Knight was involved in a fatal hit and run on Thursday afternoon.

Knight’s lawyer told the Los Angeles Times that a group of attackers were “attempting to drag (Knight) outside of the vehicle when he made an effort to escape … in fear for his life.”;

The attorney, James Blatt, believes Knight will be revealed to be free of guilt in this incident.

“The investigation is in the very beginning stages,”; Blatt told the paper. “We anticipate him being exonerated.”;

TMZ is reporting Suge Knight backed over a man with his car — killing him — and then fled the scene.

Story continues below

Several witnesses say the hip hop mogul visited a Compton, California lot where Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, and The Game were shooting a promotional video for an upcoming biopic about rap group NWA. When security asked Suge to leave, a fight broke out, prompting the 49-year-old to return to his car.

From there, Knight allegedly threw the vehicle in reverse, hitting three men in the process. Although two sustained non-life threatening injuries, the third man, Terry Carter, was pronounced dead in hospital. A rep has confirmed Dr. Dre was unharmed, and will provide no comment while the investigation is ongoing.

According to the LA County Sherriff’s Report, the hit and run took place on Thursday afternoon at 2:55pm PT. Despite the numerous witnesses on scene, authorities say there are currently no suspects available for release.

Shortly before the incident, Ice Cube posted the below image to Instagram.

Story developing.

Me, Dre and The Game shooting a commercial in Compton

A photo posted by Ice Cube (@icecube) on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:12pm PST

//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js

Ad Choices