An upcoming episode of “American Horror Story” depicts a mass shooting, but audiences won’t see the original cut.
Show creator Ryan Murphy told TV critic Emily Nussbaum why he chose to re-edit and tone down the graphic scene in the aftermath of the horrific Las Vegas shooting. “I believe I have the right to air it,” he said. “But I also believe in victims’ rights and I believe that now is not the week to have something explosive or incendiary in the culture.”
“It was meant to be an obvious anti-gun warning about society,” Murphy noted at the New Yorker Festival.
Despite his sensitive approach on the matter, it takes a lot to offend the 51-year-old screenwriter and director: “I grew up as an artist in the ’80s with huge cultural discussions about Serrano and ‘Piss Christ’ and ‘Should it be banned,’ and ‘Should somebody be allowed to create certain kinds of work?'”
But insisted, “I never do anything to offend.”
“American Horror Story: Cult” is the seventh season of the horror anthology television series.
FX addressed the re-editing of the episode in a statement obtained by ET Canada.
“In light of the tragedy last week in Las Vegas, Ryan Murphy and the producers of ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ have chosen to make substantial edits to the opening scene of tomorrow [Tuesday] night’s episode,” the statement reads.
Continuing, “This opening, which was filmed two months ago and which portrays an occurrence of gun violence that has sadly become all too common in our country, contains a sequence that some viewers might find traumatic.”
“Only the edited version of the episode will air on the FX linear channel, while the unedited version of the episode will be available on the video on demand platforms.”