Amber Heard has spoken out on social media after JK Rowling defended the decision to keep Johnny Depp in the “Fantastic Beasts” franchise amid abuse claims.
The Harry Potter author released the statement following her and director David Yates’ decision to cast Depp as Grindelwald in the upcoming “Fantastic Beasts” sequel “The Crimes of Grindelwald”.
Many criticised the choice due to the abuse allegations surrounding Depp. In April 2016, Heard and Depp split after 15 months of marriage when the actress accused her husband of domestic violence.
RELATED: JK Rowling Explains Why She Is Standing By Johnny Depp Casting In ‘Fantastic Beasts’
Rowling said she originally “considered the possibility of recasting,” but after discussing with Yates, they decided to move ahead with Depp in the role.
“The agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected,” the author said. “Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies”.
However, Heard would later respond on Twitter and Instagram, where she reissued the joint statement released during her separation from Depp.
“For the record, this was our FULL joint statement. To pick and choose certain lines and quote them out of context, is just not right,” Heard wrote. “Women, continue to stand up and stay strong. Love, Amber.”
Heard and Depp’s original statement read: “Our relationship was intensely passionate and volatile, but always bound by love. Neither party has made false accusations for financial gains. There was never an intent of physical or emotional harm.”
“Amber wishes the best for Johnny in the future. Amber will be donating financial proceeds from the divorce to a charity.”
The “Justice League” star had previously pledged to donate the $7 million divorce settlement to the American Civil Liberties Union and the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
“Fantastic Beasts” director David Yates also stood by Depp’s casting. He told Entertainment Weekly, “Honestly, there’s an issue at the moment where there’s a lot of people being accused of things, they’re being accused by multiple victims, and it’s compelling and frightening“.
“With Johnny, it seems to me there was one person who took a pop at him and claimed something. I can only tell you about the man I see every day: He’s full of decency and kindness, and that’s all I see.”
“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald” is scheduled for release on November 16, 2018.