Hillary Clinton Blasts Trump Over ‘S**thole’ Comments, Slams President’s ‘Ignorant, Racist Views’

WARNING: This report contains explicit subject matter. 

The U.S. president Donald Trump has denied the claims that he described multiple countries as “s**thole countries” before rejecting a proposal for a bipartisan immigration deal on Thursday.

Following the worldwide backlash, Trump took to Twitter this morning to put across his side of the story.

“The language used by me at the DACA meeting was tough, but this was not the language used,” he said. “What was really tough was the outlandish proposal made – a big setback for DACA!”

Following reports of the president’s controversial comments, his election opponent Hillary Clinton took to social media to blast Trump for his “ignorant, racist views of anyone who doesn’t look like him.”

Previously, CNN host Don Lemon slammed Donald Trump after the reports of his crude language were made public.

Lemon opened Thursday’s “CNN Tonight” by saying: “The President of the United States is racist. A lot of us already knew that.”

He then went on to hit out at the people who were constantly making excuses for him, asking: “What does that say about you? That no matter what, you continue to make excuses for this man, for his vile behaviour. Doesn’t that make you just as bad, if not worse, than him?”

Lemon’s comments come after Trump asked senators: “Why are we having all these people from s**thole countries come here?”

At the time, Trump was discussing the potential deal with a team of senators that would have restored protections for immigrants from Haiti, African countries and El Salvador, the Washington Post and others report.

WATCH: Trump says border wall must be part of any immigration deal

The conversation began with the chamber’s No. 2 Senate Democratic Leader Dick Durbin of Illinois, explaining how a lottery for visas that has benefited people from Africa and other nations would be ended, though there might be some other way for them to apply.

Durbin suggested that people who fled to the U.S. after disasters hit their homes in places including El Salvador, Guatemala and Haiti, would be allowed to stay.

WATCH: Trump says DACA part of immigration reform talks, says deal must ‘improve’ security for Americans

The Post writes that the deal would have restored protections for countries no longer covered under the temporary protected status program and provided an additional US$1.5 billion for a border wall.

Two people briefed on the meeting anonymously told the Washington Post that Trump then suggested the U.S. should bring more people from countries like Norway. One day earlier, Norway Prime Minister Erna Solberg visited the White House.

WATCH: Federal judge blocks Trump’s efforts to remove DACA

Reports from CNN state that Trump rejected the pitch for a compromised immigration deal, which was presented by the team of senators as a middle ground to protect Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients while strengthening border security.

The senators had hoped Trump would back their accord, ending a months-long, bitter dispute over protecting “Dreamers.” But the White House later rejected their proposed agreement, plunging the issue back into uncertainty just eight days before a deadline that threatens a government shutdown.

The DACA program is set to end in early March, while the deadline for reaching an agreement on government spending is fast approaching on Jan.19.

The Trump administration removed protection status for El Salvadorans earlier this week, putting over 200,000 people at risk of deportation. The administration also announced late last year that it would end a temporary residency program that allowed almost 60,000 Haitians to live and work in the U.S., following a devastating earthquake in 2010.

READ MORE: Canadian tech could benefit if Trump ends work permits for visa holder spouses: experts

White House Deputy Press Secretary Raj Shah responded to the allegations in a statement sent to NBC, saying that, “Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people.”

“He will always reject temporary, weak and dangerous stopgap measures that threaten the lives of hardworking Americans, and undercut immigrants who seek a better life in the United States through a legal pathway,” Shah continued.

READ MORE: Immigration from U.S. surging in year since Trump elected: Consultant

NBC claims that the statement did not deny that Trump made these remarks.

Celebrities were revolted by Trump’s statement, sharing their displeasure on Twitter.

With files from the Associated Press. 

Click to View Gallery

The Many Feuds of Donald Trump



Powered by WordPress.com VIP