Hugh Grant is said to have received a six-figure sum after settling his phone-hacking damages claim against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN).
Grant, 57, appeared at the High Court in London Monday to hear his lawyer, Anjlee Saigol, give details of the hacking settlement.
The actor accused employees at the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, and Sunday People of alleged illegal misuse of his information. He claims it had been obtained by hacking his voicemails, blagging, and surveillance. The offences took place between 1998 and 2009.
BBC News reported MGN said it “deeply regretted” the “morally wrong” acts.
Grant, who has donated the money to the Hacked Off campaign for press reform, told reporters outside court: “This case was not just about what they did to my phone and those close to me. In this litigation, my lawyer and I pressed further because I was determined to uncover the truth about the nature of high-level concealment at the Mirror Group.
“This litigation has made clear that phone hacking and other unlawful information-gathering took place on an industrial scale at the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, and Sunday People. This newspaper group has misled the public and its shareholders for many years and it has let down its readers and its hard-working journalists.”
He added, “The public were not told the truth, the victims were not told the truth, the shareholders were not told the truth and the Leveson Inquiry was not told the truth. That is why the second part of the Leveson Inquiry must take place — to get to the truth and discover who broke the law and who lied about it.”
Grant also took to Twitter to post:
Speaking for MGN, Alex Wilson said: “MGN accepts that the unlawful interception of voicemail messages and procurement of private information about Mr. Grant and others should never have happened.
“MGN acknowledges that was morally wrong and deeply regrets the wrongful acts of its former employees, which caused damage and distress to those affected, including Mr. Grant.”