OJ Simpson’s lawyer has responded to the controversial 2006 interview with Judith Regan in which Simpson gives a “hypothetical” account of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.
The never-before-seen interview, which aired on Fox this past Sunday as a two-hour special titled “O.J. Simpson: The Lost Confession?”, was filmed in 2006 during a promotional tour for the former NFL pro’s book, If I Did It, which Regan had edited.
In the interview, Simpson provides a ‘possible version of events’ of the murders that took place on June 12, 1994, at his home in Brentwood, Los Angeles. Many believed it to be his way of confessing to the crime which he was previously acquitted of.
Speaking to ABC Action News, Simpson’s lawyer, Malcolm LaVergne, denied that the interview was an admittance of guilt, stating that Simpson has always maintained his innocence.
“He recognizes that this was a big mistake and bad judgment, no matter how much money was thrown at him to do this,” LaVergne said, referring to the book deal and subsequent sit-down chat with Regan.
LaVergne went on to say that Simpson learned a lot in the 9 years he spent in prison on charges of kidnapping and armed robbery, explaining that “the 2006 OJ Simpson is not the 2018 OJ Simpson.”
He said that Simpson is focused on continuing his parole and rebuilding his life in the Las Vegas community, and has no desire to rehash the California murders.
“He’s going to keep doing right by Las Vegas, he obviously wanted nothing to do with this 2006 interview in 2018, for sure, but he’s got to own up to it. But he certainly loves the city, and he’s just got to move on from this,” LaVergne concluded.