Cannes Director Thierry Fremaux Bans Red Carpet Selfies At 2018 Film Festival

Cannes director Thierry Fremaux has banned selfies from the upcoming Film Festival’s red carpet, it has been confirmed.

The 57-year-old, who has never been a fan of celebs snapping pics of themselves at the event, told Le Film Francais magazine that he and Cannes Film Festival president Pierre Lescure have decided to “outright forbid” selfies this year.

The upcoming festival is set to place between May 8 and May 19.

RELATED: Cate Blanchett To Lead 2018 Cannes Film Festival Jury

Fremaux explained: “With Pierre Lescure, we decided to totally ban them [selfies]. At the top of the red carpet the triviality and slowdown of flow provoked by the disorder of selfies ruins the quality of the red carpet, and thus the festival entirely.”

RELATED: Social Media Trailblazer Kim Kardashian Says Selfies Are Old News!

Fremaux’s latest comments come after he previously called the selfie-snapping world “ridiculous and grotesque.”

Fremaux also confirmed to the mag that certain films will no longer be screened to the press before the official world premiere in the evening. Festivals have previously complained due to critics posting reviews before the premiere has taken place.

Members of the press will see the 7 p.m. screenings at the same time as audiences in the Lumiere theatre. However, they’ll be watching from the Debussy. Journalists will then be shown the 10 p.m. screenings the following morning.

“It will be total suspense,” Fremaux announced.

Click to View Gallery

Stars Grace The Cannes 2017 Red Carpet In Style

Get breaking news in your inbox

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP