The original Han Solo, Harrison Ford, has revealed his thoughts on the upcoming “Solo: A Star Wars Story”, director Ron Howard confirmed.
Howard, 64, insisted Ford, 75, was a huge fan of the way Alden Ehrenreich, 28, portrayed the iconic character.
The director, who said Ford has seen the movie twice already, told Variety, “I had never heard Harrison effusive about anything, and he was raving about it. He said, ‘Alden nailed it. He made it his own.’”
Howard was asked to step in to replace original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller four months into production on the much-talked-about flick. The reshoots ending up costing more than $250 million, but Howard insisted he “didn’t witness any of the difficulties or where that disconnect was.
“The one thing that I could bring to it was objectivity. I saw it as an opportunity.”
Ehrenreich added of taking on such a role, “I’ve tried to use this as an opportunity to navigate pressure and what other people think.
“That pressure is always there on every movie. This is just a very intensified version of that. For me, it’s about ‘What do I have control over?’ And it’s very little.”
The pair’s comments come after Ford met up with Ehrenreich to offer him some words of advice prior to shooting, which is thought to have begun at the start of 2017.
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy previously said to Entertainment Weekly: “What [Ford] did so beautifully for Alden was he talked a lot about what he remembered when he first read ‘Star Wars,’ and what George [Lucas] had done with Han, who the character was, and the conversations he had for so many years with George about how that character developed. He gave Alden that kind of insight which was invaluable.”
“There were several times in the course of making the movie where Alden would actually recount some of the things that Harrison had pointed out. I think that was really, really helpful to him.”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story” hits theatres May 25.