On Tuesday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office declined to press charges against the actor after Eggert filed a police report in February.
According to the DA’s evaluation of the case, “The applicable statute of limitations to the crimes alleged by the victim have expired. Thus, the case is declined.”
While there is currently no statute of limitations on cases involving sexual assault between an adult and a minor, there was a three-year statute of limitations in place in the 1980s, when Eggert claims the assault occurred, meaning the deadline to press charges passed many years ago.
In a new statement obtained by ET Canada, Baio bragged about how Eggert “failed” to destroy his “reputation” and harm his family.
“Nicole Eggert dedicated herself to destroying my reputation and harming my family, and she has failed,” Baio said. “The Los Angeles District Attorney’s conclusion to their investigation of her ever-changing stories marks the end of a sad chapter. Along the way, Eggert has defamed and harassed my family, friends, my wife’s charitable foundation, the families of the children that foundation helps, and many others. It’s hard to imagine anyone taking her seriously again.”
“For the last several months, my advisors have conducted their own investigation, which is well documented and was presented to the police and District Attorney. It showed that Nicole Eggert’s statements were part of a plan created long before her police report, with the intent of relaunching her own career,” he continued. To reiterate: her false charges were conceived in advance for personal gain. We also presented multiple witness statements who knew Eggert well at the time the show was made and presented an entirely different portrait of her behaviour and motivations for her false charges against me.”
Concluding, “Unlike Nicole Eggert, most claims of sexual assault and harassment are honest, and my heart goes out to those who have been harmed. As bad as Nicole Eggert’s actions against me were, she has hurt them even more if they are doubted for even one moment because of her untrue allegations. I hope that does not happen, and I will do my best to support them.”
Baio previously denied Eggert’s sexual abuse allegations, saying she is “provably wrong” and “deliberately lying.” While he denied having a sexual relationship when she was underage, he did say that the two had consensual sex “well after she turned 18.”
Eggert first went public with her allegations against Baio in a tweet posted in January, which read, “Ask @scottbaio what happened in his garage at his house when I was a minor. Creep.”
In an interview with Megyn Kelly, Eggert claimed that Baio expressed interest in her immediately when she began working on “Charles in Charge” in September 1986. Baio would have been 25 at the time.
“He immediately took to me and befriended me and earned my trust, and then he started expressing his love for me and talking about marriage in the future,” she alleged. “And then I was still 14, before my 15th birthday, and we were at his house, in his car, in his garage, and he reached over and he penetrated me with his finger, and that’s when the sexual touching and abuse started.”
One day after Eggert’s interview with Kelly, Baio sat down with “Good Morning America”, where he insisted that he and Eggert only had sex when she was an adult and accused Eggert of changing her story about the alleged incident multiple times.
“I’m trying to figure out which time she’s lying and which time she’s not lying, because the story seems to change quite a bit,” Baio told “GMA”. “I can’t keep up with her, honestly.”
Watch the video below for more on the allegations raised against the actor since January.