Director Antoine Fuqua Dismisses New Idris Elba James Bond Rumour: ‘It’s All Made Up Stuff’

Fans were briefly overjoyed to hear Idris Elba was a frontrunner to take on the role of James Bond.  It turns out, it’s a rumour that was too good to be true.

On Thursday, The Daily Star reported the 45-year-old “Luther” actor was in the lead to take over from Daniel Craig when he exits the franchise following “Bond 25”, starting a fan frenzy online. The outlet reported “Training Day” director Antoine Fuqua had a conversation with longtime Bond producer Barbara Broccoli in which she stated Elba could not only do the role, but the franchise is open to having a non-white actor take on 007.

RELATED: Dwayne Johnson Is Excited To ‘Lock Horns’ With Idris Elba In ‘Fast And Furious’ Spin-Off

But that conversation between Fuqua and Broccoli never happened. A rep for the director shot down the rumour, calling it “all made up stuff”.

“He never had a conversation with Barbara about the franchise or about any casting. It’s all made up stuff. Not sure how it got started,” Fuqua’s rep tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Elba’s camp declined comment to THR, which reports a source close to the actor says his team has no knowledge about any discussions around Bond; however, the actor seemingly addressed the rumours with a pithy tweet:

RELATED: Idris Elba DJed Prince Harry And Meghan Markle’s First Dance As Married Couple

Elba’s name entered the Bond conversation way back in 2016 when Will Smith declared the Brit should be the first black Bond. Elba himself has consistently denied casting rumours but has openly spoken about his desire to shake up the franchise.

“Could be a woman, could be a black woman, could be a white woman, but I think, that character, everybody would like to see it have –  do something different with it, why not?” he said earlier this year.

Craig will reprise the role one last time in the still-untitled “Bond 25” which begins production at the end of this year.

 

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP