After being the subject of an LAPD criminal investigation, Anthony Anderson will reportedly not be facing charges relating to a woman’s accusations that he assaulted her earlier this year.
TMZ is reporting that the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office rejected the case on Friday, declining to pursue charges against the 48-year-old star of ABC sitcom “Black-ish”.
Law enforcement officials told TMZ that the decision not to file charges resulted from the unidentified woman’s refusal to cooperate, and the fact that there simply wasn’t enough evidence to warrant moving forward; according to The Hollywood Reporter, Anderson’s accuser “declined to be interviewed by authorities for the case.”
Anderson became the subject of a criminal investigation in July based on a police report filed by the woman, who claimed Anderson assaulted her a year earlier while she attended an event at his home (the specifics of her allegations remain unclear).
At the time the accusations were made public, a rep denied Anderson had done anything wrong.
“It’s unfortunate that anyone can file a police report whether it is true or false,” said the rep. “The authorities have not contacted Anthony or any of his representatives about this matter. Anthony unequivocally disputes the claim.”
Anderson isn’t the only celebrity to be investigated and not charged; as THR reports, Spacey and Seagal were both being investigated for sexual assault due to incidents that allegedly took place in 1992 and 1993, respectively. Because the statute of limitations had passed in both cases, the D.A. declined to pursue charges.