On Friday, NBC News confirmed “Megyn Kelly Today” would not be returning to the network.
In a statement to ET Canada an NBC News spokesperson said: “‘Megyn Kelly Today’ is not returning. Next week, the 9 a.m. hour will be hosted by other ‘Today’ co-anchors.'”
NBC News added on their website: “The status of her conversations with the network about her departure are still in progress, according to two people familiar with conversations who were not authorized to speak publicly.”
The news comes after it was revealed the controversial host had taken a leave of absence after she hit headlines for defending the use of blackface for Halloween costumes earlier this week.
She later apologized, but was still met with criticism from her fellow talk show hosts, who insisted she was being incredibly racist with the comments.
The Hollywood Reporter added that Kelly’s lawyer, Bryan Freedman, “continues to negotiate” the host’s exit. They stated that the main issue was the payout of the remainder of her alleged $69 million contract.
Kelly also recently parted ways with Creative Artists Agency. She was expected to join the roster of United Talent Agency, but her most recent slip-up put those plans on ice.
DailyMail claimed that Kelly’s staff were “disgusted” by her remarks, according to a source.
“If Megyn is leaving, they better also be telling us that [executive producer] Jackie Levin is following her out the door,” an insider said at the time. “This needs to be a joint departure, as they have simultaneously created a toxic environment that needs to be wiped clean from NBC News forever.
“Executive producers are responsible for their talent,” they continued. “And while I use that word lightly when describing Megyn, Jackie had zero control of her and enabled a culture of toxicity at the show.”