Jim Acosta is going back to the White House, for now.
The CNN reporter’s press pass will be temporarily returned after a U.S. District Court judge granted the network’s motion for a temporary restraining order while the case moves forward, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Acosta’s so-called “hard pass” giving him access to the White House for reporting was revoked last week by White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders after a contentious exchange between the reporter and Donald Trump at a press conference.
Sanders, sharing a doctored video from the incident, had falsely claimed Acosta got inappropriately physical with a White House intern, who was attempting to take the microphone away from him.
“We are gratified with this result and we look forward to a full resolution in the coming days,” CNN said in a statement on the ruling. “Our sincere thanks to all who have supported not just CNN but a free, strong, and independent American press.”
Trump responded to the news on Friday threatening further legal action along with stopping press briefings altogether.
The judge in the case, who was appointed by Trump, said in his ruling on the motion that Acosta had not been afforded due process in the revocation of his press access, adding that CNN has show it is likely to win the case, thus meeting the standard for ruling in their favour on the motion.
“I want to thank all my colleagues in the press who supported us today and I want to thank the judge for the decision he made today,” Acosta said in front of the court house following the ruling. “And, let’s go back to work!”