Nicki Minaj was said to have made her way to China last weekend for a festival that turned out to reportedly be a scam.
The rapper, 35, was advertised to be performing at the Djakarta Warehouse Project event in Shanghai on Nov. 18. However, the DWP China website have since posted a statement saying the brand had nothing to do with the gig.
Djakarta Warehouse Project is an annual festival in Bali, Indonesia, and last weekend’s event had been billed as a Chinese spinoff.
A statement read, “The event rumoured to take place in Shanghai on 17th & 18th of November 2018 is an unauthorized use of DWP trademark. DWP as a brand, has no association with the event.”
Minaj was then said to have refused to perform, according to the Global Times.
“Minaj failed to arrive on time, which severely delayed the show. After she arrived, she still refused to perform despite fans [clamouring] for her and the organizers [negotiating] with her for two hours,” Yatai Huaying, a Chengdu-based company and the show’s organizer, said on Sina Weibo, according to the news site.
Clips of Minaj sending love to her fans in China and Shanghai have been doing the rounds online despite the singer’s silence on social media.
She also insisted she’d return with a “better partner” in one video:
ET Canada has reached out to Minaj’s rep for further comments.