‘Child’s Play’ Creator Is Furious About The Reboot: ‘It’s Very Personal’

Not everyone is thrilled about the “Child’s Play” reboot, far from it.

The creator of the Chucky-led franchise is Don Mancini and he has a lot to say about the planned remake. Mancini wrote all seven movies and directed the final three, but do not expect to see his name on the reboot’s credit.

“Obviously my feelings were hurt,” he told the “Post Mortem” podcast, per Flickering Myth. “You know, I had just done two movies… forgive me if I sound defensive, [they] were both at 83 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes.”

RELATED: Classic Slasher Movie ‘Child’s Play’ To Become TV Series

“Even though they didn’t get theatrical releases, they were well regarded,” he explained. “And I did create the character and nurture the franchise for three f**king decades.”

The biggest issue Mancini has with all this is how MGM is impeding on their ongoing “Child’s Play” franchise with their own reboot. The original “Child’s Play” film was released in 1988, but “Cult of Chucky” was released just last year.

“It was hard not to feel like I was being patronized. They just wanted our approval, which I strenuously denied them,” Mancini said. “I hesitate to say too much about it because I don’t want to sound like I’m belly-aching too much. But the producers of that movie are the producers of ‘It’.”

RELATED: ‘Child’s Play’ Creator Comments On Chucky’s New Look

“How would they feel if there was some legal loophole that allowed David Kirschner and I to swoop in and make our own ‘It’ movie with our own version of Pennywise and say, ‘Hey guys, we would love to put your names on it?’” he asked.  “I imagine they wouldn’t like it.”

Mancini and producer David Kirschner were invited to be executive producers on the new movie. “We said, ‘No thank you,’ because we have our ongoing thriving business with Chucky,” he revealed. “The people who are making that movie, they don’t know how that’s going to affect my livelihood. It’s not just a paycheck. It’s very personal. MGM’s screwing with that… potentially.”

Unfortunately for Mancini, the “Child’s Play” reboot is moving forward with a June 21 release date, and stars “Parks & Recreations” actress Aubrey Plaza and “Atlanta” actor Brian Tyree Henry.

Click to View Gallery

Casting Call: Stars Nab A New Role

Get breaking news in your inbox

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP