German Venue Cancels R. Kelly Tour Date Following Sex Abuse Charges

R. Kelly’s upcoming tour is already in trouble, with a German venue announcing its decision to cancel an upcoming concert following Kelly being charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse.

“Regarding the new and objective facts, we have decided to cancel the contract,” Ratiopharm Arena in Neu-Ulm wrote on its Facebook page, reports Associated Press, with advertisements for the April 12 concert removed from social media.

“We regret the fans’ understandable disappointment and ask them to turn to the tour’s organizer” regarding possible reimbursement of tickets, Ratiopharm Arena added.

RELATED: Lawyer Michael Avenatti Reveals Existence Of 3rd Sex Tape, Says R. Kelly Confirms Girl In Tape Is Only 14

And that may not be the only date to be cancelled. The operator of the Sporthalle Hamburg arena, where Kelly is scheduled to perform on April 14, announced on Tuesday they are continuing to press the organizer of Kelly’s tour to cancel that show as well, and had actually been in discussions about the matter even before Kelly had been charged.

“We’re in intensive talks with the organizer so that he will finally accept the situation and cancel this concert,” said Tom Oelrichs, from the Hamburg district that operates the Sporthalle arena.

“It’s obvious that R. Kelly will not be capable of holding his concert in Hamburg or elsewhere outside the U.S.,” he told AP (Kelly reportedly surrendered his passport as a condition of his bail).

RELATED: R. Kelly Free On $1-Million Bail After Pleading Not Guilty To 10 Criminal Counts Of Aggravated Sexual Abuse

Before surrendering to authorities on Friday, the 52-year-old  “Ignition (Remix)” singer had announced new tour stops in Australia, New Zealand, and Sri Lanka — despite the significant backlash has suffered following the release of the documentary “Surviving R. Kelly”.

“NEW TOUR ALERT,” Kelly tweeted at the time. “Australia | New Zealand | Sri Lanka see y’all soon!”

RELATED: R. Kelly’s Ex Comes Forward With Terrifying Claims

Australian lawmakers urged a ban to prevent Kelly from entering the country. “Labour strongly supports the refusal or cancellation of visas of non-citizens on character or criminal grounds,” the opposition party said in a statement to the BBC.

“If the Immigration Minister suspects that a non-citizen does not pass the character test, or there is a risk to the community while they are in Australia, he should use the powers he has under the Migration act to deny or cancel their visa,” Shayne Neumann said in a statement obtained by the Associated Press.

Australia is no stranger to banning celebrities with controversial pasts. Both Chris Brown and Floyd Mayweather have been denied entry before.

RELATED: Erykah Badu Gets In Twitter Battle With ‘Surviving R. Kelly’ Producer

Despite the arrest and the #MuteRKelly movement, Kelly shows no intention of suspending his musical career, even though musicians such as Celine Dion, Chance the Rapper, Lady Gaga, and John Legend have publicly denounced Kelly. Some artists even plan to pull collaborations with the controversial singer from streaming services.

“Surviving R. Kelly” explored Kelly’s alleged involvement with child pornography in 2002, and numerous other acts of alleged misconduct involving Andrea Lee, Lizzette Martinez, and Jovante Cunningham.

Kelly has pled not guilty to all charges and is currently free on a $1-million bond.

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP