A Chicago judge has set the bond for Jussie Smollett, who was arrested Thursday over an alleged “hoax” attack, at $100,000.
The “Empire” actor will have to give up his passport and submit to pre-trial monitoring during his release, according to Global News, with his next court date set for March 14.
A press conference was held Thursday morning after Smollett was arrested.
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and Commander of Area Central Detectives Edward Wodnicki updated people on the actor’s arrest, with Johnson explaining how he was “offended and angry” about the whole thing.
Johnson shared, “I just wish the families of gun violence got this much attention. I know the racial divide, how hard it’s been for our city and nation to come together.”
“[Smollett] took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career. Why would anyone use the symbolism of a noose to make false accusations? How can an individual turn around and slap everyone in this city in the face by making these false claims?”
He continued, “I’m offended by what’s happened and I’m also angry. This publicity stunt was a scar that Chicago didn’t earn and didn’t deserve.”
“I only hope the truth about what happened receives the same amount of attention that the hoax did.”
Johnson then said in response to a question from reporters, “Absolute justice would be an apology to this city, admitting what he did.”
The conference came after it was reported that Smollett, who turned himself in at 5.15 a.m. local time, had been arrested and was now in police custody. Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi confirmed the news on Twitter Thursday morning.
After days of speculation, Guglielmi confirmed the 36-year-old “Empire” star “was now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report.”
According to Guglielmi, “Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury.”
As Guglielmi stated in the above tweet, filing a false report is a class 4 felony, which is punishable by up to three years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
In late January, Smollett told police he was attacked by two men who beat him up while hurling racist and homophobic insults at him, tying a noose around his neck and attempting to pour a chemical substance on him.
Police subsequently interviewed two suspects, both of whom were known to Smollett, who reportedly alleged the actor paid them $3,500 to stage the attack.
Meanwhile, CBS’s Chicago affiliate had obtained video surveillance footage of the suspects — brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo — at a convenience store purchasing ski masks, gloves, bandanas, sunglasses and red hats. Watch:
Hours after deeming Smollett a suspect, Guglielmi confirmed that the actor has been charged with federal disorderly conduct/filing a false police report by the Cook County state’s attorney.
According to Guglielmi at the time, “Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest.”
Smollett’s attorneys Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson subsequently issued a statement to ET: “Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defence.”