20th Century Fox Television is weighing its options following “Empire” star Jussie Smollett’s arrest.
The actor was arrested on Thursday on charges of faking a racially-motivated attack and filing a false police report.
“We understand the seriousness of this matter and we respect the legal process,” the company said in a statement to ET. “We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”
During a press conference on Thursday, Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and Commander of Area Central Detectives Edward Wodnicki updated people on the actor’s arrest, with Johnson explaining how he was “offended and angry” about the whole thing.
Johnson said Smollett staged the attack and addressed fake hate letters to himself because he was “dissatisfied with his salary” on the “Empire” television show.
Johnson shared, “I just wish the families of gun violence got this much attention. I know the racial divide, how hard it’s been for our city and nation to come together.”
“[Smollett] took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career. Why would anyone use the symbolism of a noose to make false accusations? How can an individual turn around and slap everyone in this city in the face by making these false claims?”
“Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show,” they assured on Wednesday. There is no word on how Smollett’s arrest may change Fox’s stance.
Smollett, 36, has starred as Jamal Lyon on “Empire” since 2015.