R. Kelly is back behind bars after a judge ordered the scandal-plagued singer back into custody following a child support hearing.
The judge ordered the 52-year-old singer into custody after he appeared in Family Court in Chicago on Wednesday, reports the Chicago Sun-Times.
According to the Sun-Times, Kelly was “taken out the back of the courtroom with his hands behind his back,” with the Cook County Sheriff’s Office confirming Kelly is returning to Cook County Jail, from where he was released on a $1-million bond on Feb. 25 after being charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse.
Last month, a Chicago judge issued an order stating that Kelly would be sent to the slammer if he didn’t pay $161,663 he owes ex-wife Andrea Kelly in unpaid child support; the judge set the deadline as 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 6.
RELATED: Oprah Winfrey Praises Bestie Gayle King Following Explosive Interview With Alleged Sexual Abuser R. Kelly
Previously, it seemed as if Kelly dodged a bullet at his earlier bail hearing on sexual abuse charges, when the judge denied prosecutors’ requests to hold the “I Believe I Can Fly” singer in custody until he posted the bond and paid his child support.
Kelly had allegedly dodged being served by his ex-wife’s lawyers for months, which prevented the matter from progressing in court, says David France, manager for Andrea Kelly, who believes Kelly is not nearly as broke as he’s making himself out to be.
RELATED: R. Kelly Shouts And Sobs In Gayle King Interview, Vehemently Denies Sexual Abuse Charges
“Mr. Kelly has more than 20 people on his staff who, needless to say, are being paid,” France told the Sun-Times. “He is not without means. Not until he was arrested did he say he didn’t have any money.”