It isn’t the first time, but George Clooney is coming to the defence of Duchess Meghan once again.
The actor told “Good Morning Britain” that the treatment towards his friend, Meghan Markle, has been “unfair.”
“I think it’s a little unfair at times when – I’ve seen it when the press can turn on you for sort of ridiculous reasons and for almost nothing, and it seemed to me to be a little unjust since [Meghan] hadn’t done anything except just happen to live her life,” he told the morning show.
Clooney and his wife, Amal Clooney, were guests at Prince Harry and Markle’s wedding in May 2018. They are a “really wonderful, loving couple,” he said. Adding that the Duchess is “a really kind and smart and intelligent young woman.”
The “Ocean’s 11″ actor went on to say most of the comments “you can just shrug off and not pay attention to, but sometimes it’s unkind.”
On International Women’s Day last week the Duchess of Sussex, as the newly formed vice-president of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, said that she stays away from reading Twitter.
“It’s our responsibility to make a choice what we click on, make a choice of what we read, make a choice of what we engage in. That is our personal decision to not feed into negativity,” Markle said.
In February at a press panel for his Hulu series “Catch-22”, Clooney compared the way Markle is being treated to that of Diana, Princess of Wales.
“She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she has been pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that Diana was and it’s history repeating itself.”
Adding, “We’ve seen how that ends. I can’t tell you how frustrating that is, just seeing them broadcast a letter from a daughter to a father, she’s getting a raw deal there and I think it’s irresponsible and I’m surprised by that.”
Clooney was referring the letter that the Duchess sent her father, Thomas, in an attempt to get him to stop talking to the media. He then went and published the letter after Markle’s friends spoke out on her behalf saying he had to defend himself. The Duchess of Sussex did threaten legal action should The Mail On Sunday release any more of the message.
The palace press office has also implemented a new social media policy to help cut back on the harmful comments directed to both the Duchess of Sussex and Duchess of Cambridge.
On Tuesday, George and Amal were guests at Buckingham Palace for a dinner celebrating The Prince’s Trust.