Fox News Pulls Jeanine Pirro’s Show After Controversial Hijab Comments About Congresswoman, Trump Responds

Jeanine Pirro’s show was yanked from the Fox News lineup on Saturday in the wake of some controversial comments she made about Congresswoman Ilhan Omar.

On last week’s edition of her weekly show, “Justice with Judge Jeanine”, the former Westchester County District Attorney questioned Omar’s patriotism — because she’s a Muslim woman who wears a hijab.

“Think about it: Omar wears a hijab. Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” questioned Pirro, apparently ignoring what the First Amendment to that same Constitution says about religious freedom.

RELATED: Fox News’ Jeanine Pirro Fires Back After Reports Of Backstage Shouting Match With Whoopi Goldberg At Taping Of ‘The View’

Many were outraged, including several of the show’s advertisers; in fact, four advertisers pulled their spots from Pirro’s show, leading Fox News to issue a statement distancing itself from Pirro.

“We strongly condemn Jeanine Pirro’s comments about Rep. Ilhan Omar,” Fox News said in a statement. “They do not reflect those of the network and we have addressed the matter with her directly.”

Pirro herself tried to quell the controversy by issuing a weak statement attempting to walk back her comments without taking them back or apologizing.

RELATED: Whoopi Goldberg Addresses Rumours Surrounding Her Confrontation With Judge Jeanine Pirro On ‘The View’

“I’ve seen a lot of comments about my opening statement from Saturday night’s show and I did not call Rep. Omar un-American,” Pirro said in a statement. “My intention was to ask a question and start a debate, but of course because one is Muslim does not mean you don’t support the Constitution. I invite Rep. Omar to come on my show any time to discuss all of the important issues facing America today.”

Despite the statements, the advertisers that fled have not returned, and Fox News quietly pulled the show off its schedule this week (a rerun of a documentary series aired in its timeslot).

As CNN reports, Pirro hasn’t tweeted since last weekend, and has not indicated she’d be taking any time off.

As for Pirro’s current status at the network, a Fox News spokesperson would only say that “we are not commenting on internal scheduling matters.”

However, CNN’s Brian Stelter is reporting that Pirro has been suspended, while adding that there is also “no indication that she has been fired from Fox,” with a source telling him “she has not been fired.”

Meanwhile, Pirro has a powerful fan in her corner: President Donald Trump, who took to Twitter on Sunday morning to call for her return to Fox News, blaming the “Radical Left Democrats” and “the Fake News Media” for silencing the host.

In his three-part tweet, Trump also encouraged the network to “keep fighting for Tucker [Carlson],” another Fox News host who’s seen advertisers flee due to misogynistic comments that have been unearthed.

Get breaking news in your inbox

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP