Prince Harry has said he “acknowledges and welcomes the formal apology” after a news agency took photographs of his Cotswolds home from a helicopter earlier this year.
Harry’s lawyers told the High Court Thursday how Splash News and Picture Agency had flown over the private home in Oxfordshire at a low altitude so they could snap photos of Harry and Meghan Markle’s living and dining area and bedroom.
The pictures were later printed in a newspaper, prompting the royals to move out.
RELATED: Prince Harry On Limited Paternity Leave, Will Scale Back To One Royal Engagement Per Week
The palace said in a statement Thursday, “The Duke of Sussex acknowledges and welcomes the formal apology from Splash News and Picture Agency as referenced in the Statement in Open Court today.”
A court statement read out by Harry’s solicitor added: “On 9 January 2019 Splash chartered a helicopter for the purpose of taking photographs and recording video footage of The Duke’s private home in Oxfordshire.”
“The property had been chosen by The Duke for himself and his wife given the high level of privacy it afforded given its position in a secluded area surrounded by private farmland away from any areas to which photographers have access.”
“The helicopter flew over the home at a low altitude allowing Splash to take photographs of and into the living area and dining area of the home and directly into the bedroom.”
RELATED: Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor Could Become Prince Archie When Charles Is King
“The photographs were taken for commercial gain and syndicated for that purpose. As a result, the photographs were published by The Times newspaper and elsewhere online by a number of other media outlets. No consent was given to the actions taken by Splash. The Duke has had to engage his solicitors to take steps to try to secure the removal of the photographs from these websites.”
Splash confirmed they’d agreed to pay a “substantial sum in damages and legal costs,” and had apologized to the Duke.