Adam Levine is stepping down from his big red chair, after 16 seasons as a coach on “The Voice”.
RELATED: ‘The Voice’ Crowns Season 16 Champion — Find Out Who Won!
The surprising announcement was made during the “Today” show’s Pop Start segment with Carson Daly, who also happens to be the host of the singing competition series.
RELATED: BTS Performs ‘Boy With Luv’ During Star-Studded ‘The Voice’ Season 16 Finale
“Adam was one of the original coaches that launched the show, winning the competition three times and inspiring many of the artists that he worked so closely with over the years. Of course, many viewers will miss watching his frenemy relationship with Blake Shelton. He’ll always be a cherished member of ‘The Voice’ family. Of course we wish him nothing but the best,” Daly said.
Levine had previously been announced to take part in season 17 alongside fellow coaches Blake Shelton, John Legend and Kelly Clarkson.
RELATED: Behati Prinsloo Wants More Kids With Adam Levine
Levine took to Instagram shortly after the announcement, sharing a meaningful post thanking all of the people who were part of his journey on the show.
“First thank you must go to Mark. We had no idea what we were doing or where it was going. After the first day of shooting, I sat there, stunned. I said to myself ‘There’s some magic here. Something is definitely happening.’ It went on to be a life shaping experience that will be close to my heart forever,” he wrote.
The songwriter then went on to thank all of the coaches he’s worked alongside over the years, writing a very special message to the show’s famous country crooner: “BLAKE F***IN’ SHELTON. I couldn’t hide my love for you if I tried. Seriously. I tried. Can’t do it. Our friendship is and always will be one for the books. Whatever this whole surreal experience was, I’m just happy I got to experience it with you. You’re my brother for life.”
Last, but certainly not least, Levine thanked the fans of “The Voice” for their constant support. “There’s literally no show without you guys. For me, it was time to move on. Your support has meant EVERYTHING,” the 40-year-old added.
Shelton took to Twitter to share his thoughts on the surprising news, saying he’s having a “hard time wrapping my head” around Levine’s departure.
Clarkson also took to social media after the news broke that the Maroon 5 frontman would no longer be a coach on the reality competition show, saying “it will be weird showing up for work & he’s not there.”
John Legend also added in his short but sweet sentiments. “We’ll miss you, brother,” he wrote.
ET Canada has reached out to Levine’s rep for comment.
RELATED: Gwen Stefani Celebrates Throwback Thursday With Blake Shelton Memory From ‘The Voice’
Fans had no time to wonder who would sitting in the coveted big red chair as the 45-year-old host made the exciting announcement right after revealing Levine’s departure.
“I’m happy to share this morning that Gwen Stefani will be returning for season 17,” Daly added. “We’re looking forward to having Gwen back next season, it should be a ton of fun.”
“The Voice” is set to return to the small screen this fall.