Disneyland is finally giving “Star Wars” fans the chance to visit a galaxy far, far away.
On Wednesday, George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Billy Dee Williams joined Disney CEO Bob Iger to cut the ribbon at the pre-opening ceremony for “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge”, the brand new extension to the Disneyland theme park in California.
“Isn’t this fantastic?” Iger said, emerging from a full-scale replica of the Millennium Falcon, Deadline reported. “I have been in this job for 14 years. There are some good days, but this is right up there with the best of them.”
Remarking on the new park expansion, Lucas said, “Now the technology is here, this thing is amazing. It’s something you couldn’t even dream about 20 years ago. It was a great experience. for me, and it will change your life.”
Hamill added, “Look at where we are today. We get our own land! You know, Star Wars to me has always been the gift that keeps on giving, and that reason is you. Parents tell you not to speak to strangers, but people treat me like family, tell me personal stories.”
Ford showed up to get things going by starting up the Millennium Falcon, dedicating the moment to Chewbacca actor Peter Mayhew, who passed away earlier this month.
Also on hand at the ceremony, taking in the wonder with the rest of the audience, was “Captain Marvel” star Brie Larson.
The “Galaxy’s Edge” extension is a 14-acre, completely immersive world inspired by the beloved franchise, currently featuring two new rides and more attractions.
Later this year, the park’s second phase will open, featuring the “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance” attraction, in which guests will find themselves in the middle of the epic battle between the Resistance and the First Order.
Doors open to the public this Friday.