The original stars of TV shows that get rebooted with new casts typically tend to respond diplomatically about the new iterations of their shows — which is definitely not the case with Drake Bell.
Bell, one of the original cast members of beloved Nickelodeon sketch comedy series, had some harsh words for the new reboot, which features an all-new cast of young actors.
After the cast of the reboot — who range in age from 12 to 15 — was announced earlier this week, Bell commented about a promotional video for the show posted on Twitter, featuring the new cast in mock auditions.
“This is LITERALLY THE WORST THING I’VE SEEN IN a loooong time!!!” he wrote in his first post. After that diss, Bell, 32, had more to say. “I’m confused is this written or is this their ‘IMPROV’ he rhymes joking with joking like four times…” he added in a second post.
“You should probably wait until the audience says your [sic] funny before saying ‘I’m Funny’” he added in a second post.
He ended with a post featuring contrasting photos of the new cast and the cast from the original, which included such future stars as Kenan Thompson, Amanda Bynes, Kel Mitchell, Nick Cannon and Gabriel Iglesias during the course of the show’s 11-season run from 1994 until 2005.
“Not EVEN CLOSE,” he wrote.
Bell’s comments are a far cry from those of former cast mate Kel Mitchell, who is a producer on the new reboot (as is Thompson).
“For us to see the new kids going through what we went through and experiencing the beginning and know what’s to come for them — it’s so cool to see their faces experiencing it all,” Mitchell told People. “I’m excited that I’m there to give advice. God made me ready for this.”
The new “All That” premieres on Saturday, June 15.