Prosecutors Drop Groping Case Against Kevin Spacey After Accuser Pleads The Fifth, Won’t Face Criminal Charges

Nantucket prosecutors have dropped the case filed by a young man who alleged Kevin Spacey groped him in a bar when he was 18 in 2016.

According to a press release issued by Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe, the indecent assault and battery case lodged against the former “House of Cards” star isn’t going ahead. Spacey’s accuser invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination when he refused to testify about text messages that Spacey’s attorneys claim had been deleted.

The unidentified accuser had been ordered by the court to testify about the cellphone he had been using on the night of the alleged assault, and was ordered to turn it over to Spacey’s legal team; however, the accuser said the phone was missing.

RELATED: Kevin Spacey Accuser Drops Lawsuit Against Actor

The cellphone has been at a point of contention in the case, with the accuser and his mother, former Boston TV news anchor Heather Unruh, claiming the phone was given to prosecutors in December of 2017 but hadn’t been returned. Unruh told investigators she deleted certain things from her son’s phone — which she described as documenting “frat boy activities” — prior to giving it to authorities.

On Sunday, prosecutors met with the accuser and his family after the accuser’s refusal to testify led Judge Thomas Barrett to question the case’s viability. “The complaining witness was informed that if he chose to continue to invoke his Fifth Amendment right, the case would not be able to go forward,” states the press release from O’Keefe. “After a further period of reflection privately with his lawyer, the complaining witness elected not to waive his right under the Fifth Amendment.”

RELATED: Kevin Spacey Accuser Files Civil Lawsuit Over Alleged Sexual Assault

The accuser’s lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, released a statement Wednesday afternoon.

“My client and his family have shown an enormous amount of courage under difficult circumstances,” he said. “I have no further comment at this time.”

Spacey’s career imploded in late 2017 after “Star Trek: Discovery” star Anthony Rapp alleged that the two-time Oscar winner made an aggressive sexual advance toward him when he was just 14.

RELATED: Scotland Yard Questioned Kevin Spacey Over Assault Claims

Rapp’s allegation caused the floodgates to burst as numerous other men accused Spacey of sexual misconduct, leading him to enter a treatment facility. However, the numerous allegations left Spacey toxic to the entertainment industry, leading him to be fired from Netflix drama “House of Cards” while scenes he had already filmed for “All The Money In The World” were reshot with Christopher Plummer taking on his role.

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard is currently investigating 20 allegations of sexual misconduct against Spacey during his time at London’s Old Vic Theatre, where he served as artistic director from 2004 until he stepped down in 2015.

 

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP