ET Canada

Nicole Kidman And Reese Witherspoon Address The Possibility Of ‘Big Little Lies’ Season 3

By ETCanada.com Staff.

imageSPACE/Shutterstock

Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon are providing more clues about the possibility that their HBO series “Big Little Lies” will be returning for a third season.

The actresses/executive producers talked about a possible season three in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

“We will decide as a group,” Kidman said, seemingly referring to fellow EPs Jean-Marc Vallée, David E. Kelly, Liane Moriarty and the show’s powerhouse cast. Kidman added, “We listen to the way in which people react because so much of TV is a very immediate medium.”

In fact, Kidman wouldn’t offer any clarity on the open-ended conclusion to season two for fear of spoiling a potential third season. “It’s so important not to discuss all of the intricacies of this, because if we do a season 3, there’s going to be things that will be explained,” Kidman said. “It’s probably better to allow just a little mystery.”

RELATED: HBO ‘Open’ To ‘Big Little Lies’ Season 3, But On One Condition

Story continues below

Witherspoon added that she felt the most important factor in determining whether the show would have a third season is whether there is enough left to tell about ‘The Monterey Five.’ “If there are conversations still to be had, I think that’s really what determines if we can tell a season 3,” said Witherspoon.

The duo also addressed reports of bad blood between season two director Andrea Arnold and EPs Jean-Marc Vallée and David E. Kelley. Earlier this month, IndieWire released a bombshell report that suggested Arnold felt creative control of the show had been wrested from her.

RELATED: HBO Downplays Reports That ‘Big Little Lies’ Season 2 Director Andrea Arnold Was ‘Heartbroken’ After Jean-Marc Vallee Took Over Editing

HBO executive Casey Bloys attempted to shut down the story at TCA on July 24, claiming “the idea that creative control was taken from the director [Arnold], it’s just a false premise.” Kidman backed up Bloys, saying, “He said it beautifully. That’s why we had Casey handle it. Obviously, he’s the head of HBO. He really said it beautifully.”

Witherspoon agreed, saying, “In our minds, there is no controversy. We just love the show.” She added, “There was a lot of misinformation and no credited sources on any of the information. This was an incredibly collaborative process for all of us and the idea that anyone was mistreated and not communicated with is completely not true. I was glad that Casey spoke so clearly about that and we are thrilled with the collaboration that yielded this season.”

Story continues below
Ad Choices