The direct of “The Hunt” is finally speaking out after the film’s release was cancelled.

Universal Pictures first halted its marketing campaign for thriller earlier this month following mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso, and then decided not to release the film at all after criticism from conservative media and Donald Trump.

“If I believed this film could incite violence, I wouldn’t have made it,” Craig Zobel told Variety.

“Our ambition was to poke at both sides of the aisle equally,” he said of the satirical film. “We seek to entertain and unify, not enrage and divide. It is up to the viewers to decide what their takeaway will be.”

Zobel continued, “I wanted to make a fun, action thriller that satirized this moment in our culture — where we jump to assume we know someone’s beliefs because of which ‘team’ we think they’re on… and then start shouting at them. This rush to judgment is one of the most relevant problems of our time.”

In a statement on the official website for “The Hunt” — which as to have been released on Sept. 27 — Universal explained its decision to pull the film, a violent satire about a group of wealthy elites who kidnap average people (a.k.a. “deplorables”) in order to hunt them for sport.

“While Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for ‘The Hunt’, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film,” reads the statement.

RELATED: Universal Halts ‘The Hunt’ Marketing Campaign In Light Of Multiple Mass Shootings

“We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller,” the statement continues, “but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film.”

Zobel told Variety that he supported the studio’s decision to delay the release of the film in light of the shootings.

“I was devastated by going to sleep to El Paso and waking up to Dayton,” he said. “These types of moments happen far too often. In the wake of these horrific events, we immediately considered what it meant for the timing of our film. Once inaccurate assumptions about the content and intent of the movie began to take hold, I supported the decision to move the film off its release date.”

Earlier this week, Universal cancelled its ad campaign for the film, which stars Betty Gilpin, Ike Barinholtz, Emma Roberts, Hilary Swank, Justin Hartley and Glenn Howerton.

“Out of sensitivity to the attention on the country’s recent shooting tragedies, Universal Pictures and the filmmakers of ‘The Hunt’ have temporarily paused its marketing campaign and are reviewing materials as we move forward,” a studio rep said in a statement published by Deadline.

RELATED: Hilary Swank Is Behind A Sinister Plot Of Hunting Humans In The First Look At ‘The Hunt’

Universal’s decision to cancel the film’s release comes one day after U.S. President Donald Trump accused Hollywood of being “racist,” apparently alluding to “The Hunt”.

“But Hollywood is really terrible,” declared the former reality TV star. “You want to talk about racist, Hollywood is racist. What they’re doing, with the kind of movies they’re putting out, it’s actually very dangerous for our country. What Hollywood is doing is a tremendous disservice to our country… they treat conservatives, Republicans, totally different than they treat others.”

Trump doubled down on his “Hollywood is racist” claim in subsequent tweets, seemingly referring to “The Hunt” when he describes an unnamed movie as being “made in order to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and they try to blame others. They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!”