Simon Cowell Admits He Hasn’t Watched ‘American Idol’ In ‘So Many Years’

Just because Simon Cowell spent nine seasons behind the “American Idol” judging table doesn’t mean he has any interest in the show these days.

Cowell, who left “Idol” in 2002, was chatting with reporters on the red carpet of “America’s Got Talent” on Tuesday when he was asked about rumours that Ryan Seacrest — who hosted the original Fox version and returned to host ABC’s current reboot — was planning to exit the show.

“I have no idea,” Cowell replied, as reported by Us Weekly. “I haven’t seen the show in so many years, I honestly couldn’t tell you.”

RELATED: Simon Cowell Teases New Reality Talent Show Set In Antartica

Cowell, 59, was a huge factor in the meteoric success of the show, but recently told HollywoodLife that it was the show’s restrictive age limits that encouraged him to walk away in order bring his U.K. hit “The X-Factor” to Fox.

“How can you say, ‘You can’t be a star [because of your age],’” said Cowell of the “Idol” rule that prohibits anyone older than 28 from competing.

“And I found the word ‘Idol’ obnoxious to be honest with you,” he added. “And why isn’t a 35-year-old as great as an 18-year-old? I just got to the point where this is not real.”

RELATED: Sharon Osbourne Shreds Simon Cowell For Firing Her From ‘The X Factor’ Because He ‘Thought I Was Too Old’

In a 2017 interview, Cowell revealed that he had been approached about joining ABC’s “Idol” reboot, but decided to pass.

“I was asked to do it, and the answer is no,” Cowell said. “I have no interest. My memories are when we first started. It was a different time with Randy [Jackson], Ryan [Seacrest], and Paula [Abdul]. You can’t recreate that.”

Click to View Gallery

Simon Cowell Greatest (And Meanest) TV Moments

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP