Prince Harry and Meghan Markle aren’t the only ones who believe that British tabloids have been vicious in the way they cover the Duchess of Sussex.
In a new interview with the Sunday Times, Hillary Clinton is coming to Duchess Meghan’s defence, supporting her and Harry after he announced plans to sue select British media outlets.
“I do want to say that the way she’s been treated is inexplicable,” the former Secretary of State said of Markle.
“If the explanation is that she’s biracial, then shame on everybody,” she continued, stating that the duchess’ race is “certainly part of it.”
Clinton’s daughter, Chelsea Clinton, added her belief that Markle is being targeted because of her attempts to redefine her royal role.
“She proudly had a career first and has a voice that she thankfully continues to use,” said the former First Daughter.
“Anyone who has the temerity to break the mold of what has previously been established and expected often, unfortunately, receives criticism and bile that I don’t understand,” she pointed out. “We’ve seen this pattern repeatedly.”
She added: “I don’t know her, but as someone who respects her, I’m so grateful that she persists, and is unbowed, and is doing work she feels called to do. And isn’t willing to be bullied.”
On Oct. 1, Prince Harry issued a statement announcing he’d be taking the Mail on Sunday and its parent company, Associated Newspapers, to court.
In his statement, Harry explains that “taking legal action” is “a process that has been many months in the making,” accusing the tabloid of having “vilified her almost daily for the past nine months; they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave.”
He added: “For these select media this is a game, and one that we have been unwilling to play from the start. I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in.”