While Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are in the midst of suing U.K. tabloid the Mail on Sunday over allegations of phone hacking, the royal couple has the full support of Elton John.
Speaking with NPR’s “Weekend Edition”, the 72-year-old rock icon said he applauds the couple taking legal action.
“They were very upset that their phones had been hacked,” said Sir Elton, who performed at the couple’s wedding reception and was a close friend of Harry’s mother, Princess Diana.
“I said, ‘Listen, you take the appropriate action you want to take,” he added. “You have to know that when you take appropriate action like this, there are going to be consequences and people are not going to like it. But if you feel like you have an injustice…’“
As John pointed out, he’s waged his own battles against Britain’s infamous tabloid press over the years.
“I’ve always lived my life fighting injustice with the press,” he continued. “I like the press, there’s a need for the press, but sometimes they step out of their bounds. And hacking phones is not acceptable. If your phone is hacked, you’ve got to take action because the press cannot do that. So I have to say, ‘Bravo.’“
During the interview, John also lent his support to pal Ellen DeGeneres after she was hit with backlash over photos of her palling around with former President George W. Bush, whose administration wasn’t exactly what you’d call gay-friendly.
“George Bush has made a lot of mistakes. I made a lot of mistakes. Ellen DeGeneres has made a lot of mistakes,” he said diplomatically. “People need to come together… They need to respect people’s view on life. Except when it’s heresy, and I don’t think George Bush is that kind of guy.”