Cuba Gooding Jr. turned himself in to the NYPD on Tuesday to face a new charge.
Earlier this month, the Manhattan District Attorney announced that Gooding had been indicted on another charge, though it’s been sealed until Tuesday afternoon, when he is scheduled to be arraigned for it. Gooding’s attorney, Mark Heller, spoke to reporters in front of the Manhattan courthouse on Tuesday and confirmed his client had surrendered.
In a statement to ET on Monday, Heller said they understand there is a new accuser whose allegations were presented to a grand jury along with the first allegations against Gooding — and that they plan to ask the court to throw both cases out. As ET previously reported, the Oscar winner was arrested and charged with forcible touching in June and turned himself in to the Manhattan Special Victims Unit. Gooding is accused of groping a woman at a bar in New York City. He has maintained his innocence and has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
“We are completely confident that there will be no criminal conviction of Cuba Goding Jr.,” Heller said on Tuesday. “Cuba Gooding is certainly innocent of the allegations that will be presented today before the court and we are going to ask that the court send this case out today for trial. As everybody is aware, these criminal proceedings go on and while that happens the defendant’s life is put on hold, and we feel four months is far too long a period of time to put a person like Cuba’s life on hold.”
Heller previously told ET that they believe the second case against Gooding is “even less credible than the first case,” and claimed “after Cuba was arrested over 120 days ago, a rep of the second accuser thought to seek a payment from Cuba and he declined to be shaken down. At that point, she moved forward to establish this second charge and it was presented to the grand jury.”
“We believe the prosecutor is trying to besmirch the reputation of Cuba, a beloved Bronx native, and trying to establish these charges, which will result in an outrage by the public by wasting time and resources and energy of the court that have no place in the criminal court system,” Heller said, adding that they plan to enter a plea of not guilty in court on Tuesday.
MORE FROM ET: