The Queen has released a statement after holding crisis talks with the royal family on Monday.
Her Majesty said in a message obtained by ET Canada: “Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.”
“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”
“Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives,” she continued. “It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.”
“These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.”
The Queen’s statement comes after she held a meeting with Prince Charles and Prince William at Sandringham to discuss Harry and Meghan Markle’s future.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealed last week that they were stepping back as senior royals and wanted to become financially independent.
They also said they wanted to split their time between Canada, where they spent the holidays, and the UK.
Meghan is currently in Canada with baby Archie, but was thought to have called in to take part in the meeting.