Ewan McGregor Responds To Claims Disney+ Has Put Obi-Wan Kenobi ‘Star Wars’ Series On Hold

It was reported this week that Disney+ would be pumping the brakes on its highly anticipated “Star Wars” series in which Ewan McGregor will be reprising the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

However, ET spoke with McGregor on Thursday night at the “Harleywood & Highland” event for his upcoming DC Comics film “Birds of Prey”, where the actor sent a positive message to fans about the show’s delay.

“The scripts are really, really good. They want to make them better,” he explained. “And they just slid the production to shooting next year.”

“So it’s not as dramatic as it sounds,” McGregor added. “I just got here tonight, and it’s like, oh my God look at all this stuff! It’s not that dramatic. I think we have the same– We’re airing on the same day and all that stuff.”

The Hollywood Reporter reported the project had been put on hold while the streaming service attempted “a retooling.”

Sources told THR that just two scripts were written, but the “story became an issue and that the entire package had been jettisoned.”

It was reported that Lucasfilm were looking for a new writer, while the series — which was originally announced as six episodes — was being scaled back to four.

“It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process,” noted THR. “One source said the Kenobi story treaded similar ground as ‘The Mandalorian’, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and perhaps even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody.’

This followed earlier reports — that were debunked — circulating throughout social media that Ewan McGregor had exited the project.

According to The Wrap, a Disney+ rep insisted the report was “totally inaccurate,” and that the show was still moving ahead, with McGregor still onboard.

RELATED: Ewan McGregor Will Reprise Obi-Wan Kenobi Role For Disney+ ‘Star Wars’ Series, New Details From D23

The story came from the deliberately misspelled parody Twitter account @DicsussingFilm, meant to trick Twitter users into thinking it’s the actual Twitter account @DiscussingFilm.

Although the account clearly labels itself as a parody account — the bio actually reads  “PARODY ACCOUNT, NOT AFFILIATED WITH @DiscussingFilm” — plenty of Twitter users didn’t notice, and picked up the news as if it was accurate.

News of the Obi-Wan series was confirmed last summer at Disney’s D23 Expo, with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy revealing scripts for the series had been completed and filming will begin in 2020.

RELATED: Ewan McGregor Says It’s A ‘F**king Massive Relief’ To Finally Talk About The Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Speaking with Men’s Journal, McGregor admitted it was “a f**king massive relief” to finally be able to talk about the long-rumoured series.

“Because for four years, I’ve been having to lie to people about it,” he explained while sharing a few sparse details about what fans can expect.

“The storyline sits between ‘Episode III’ [‘Revenge of the Sith’] and ‘Episode IV’ [‘Star Wars’],” McGregor teased. “It will be interesting to take a character we know in a way and show him — well, his arc will be quite interesting, I think, dealing with that the fact that all the Jedi were slaughtered with the end of ‘Episode III’. It’s quite something to get over.”

RELATED: Ewan McGregor’s ‘Star Wars’ Rat Tail Sells For Nearly $3K

Because he’s significantly older than he was when he first played the role, McGregor said he wants “to get closer and closer to how Obi-Wan felt while Alec Guinness was playing him. I feel like I’m greyer and nearer him in age, so it’ll be easier to do that.”

No premiere date for the Disney+ series has yet been set.

Click to View Gallery

10 ‘Star Wars’ Characters Who Deserve Their Own Spin-Offs

 

Get breaking news in your inbox

Related

Comments

Powered by WordPress.com VIP