Christopher Nolan‘s “Tenet” has been delayed indefinitely, ET can confirm. The film was initially due to be released July 17, before first being pushed back to July 31 and then to Aug. 12. For the time being, it remains undated.
“Our goals throughout this process have been to ensure the highest odds of success for our films while also being ready to support our theatre partners with new content as soon as they could safely reopen,” Warner Bros. Chairman Toby Emmerich said in a statement. “We’re grateful for the support we’ve received from exhibitors and remain steadfast in our commitment to the theatrical experience around the world.”
As coronavirus cases spike Stateside and theatres remain closed in the majority of major moviegoing hubs, Emmerich emphasizes that “Tenet” will not have a “traditional” release.
“Unfortunately, the pandemic continues to proliferate, causing us to reevaluate our release dates. Amidst all this continued uncertainty, we have decided to vacate the current dates for our next two releases,” the statement reads. “We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for ‘Tenet’, Christopher Nolan’s wholly original and mind-blowing feature. We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.”
“Warner Bros. is committed to bringing “Tenet” to audiences in theatres, on the big screen, when exhibitors are ready and public health officials say it’s time,” a Warner Bros. spokesperson previously said when the film was delayed to August.
More From ET: