Fans of “Bridgerton” are disappointed to learn one of their favourite stars isn’t returning.

On Friday, Netflix confirmed that breakout star Regé-Jean Page will not be appearing in the show’s upcoming second season.

RELATED: Regé-Jean Page Wins Outstanding Actor At NAACP Image Awards

“While all eyes turn to Lord Anthony Bridgerton’s quest to find a Viscountess, we bid adieu to Regé-Jean Page, who so triumphantly played the Duke of Hastings,” the streamer said in a statement. “We’ll miss Simon’s presence onscreen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family.”

The first season’s other lead star, Phoebe Dynevor, will be returning for season 2, though, which shift’s focus to her character Daphne’s brother Anthony as he pursues a suitable marriage.

Season 2 will be based largely on the second book in author Julia Quinn’s series, The Viscount Who Loved Me.

Page on Twitter said that starring in the show’s first season was a “please and a privilege.”

RELATED: ‘Saturday Night Live’: Regé-Jean Page Brings Sexy ‘Bridgerton’ Charm To His Debut Monologue

Meanwhile, on Twitter, fans reacted with shock.

And so did “Bridgerton”‘s celebrity fans:

On the most recent episode of “Last Week Tonight”, host John Oliver said, “His character’s arc is mostly wrapped up and he does not appear in the rest of the novels. It’s really a generational story of the whole family. And also, you could absolutely lose the Duke. It is actually perfectly in his character to start something he doesn’t finish.”

Kim Kardashian took to the comments section on the official Bridgerton Netflix account’s announcement post: “Wait!!! WHAT????”